In our quest to have a good looking lawn and landscaping sometimes we make a few mistakes. It could be something as simple as plants or shrubbery that does not work or trees that become overgrown in the wrong area of your lawn. Just because plants and trees look great at the garden center does not mean they always work well in your overall design. In this post, we will look at some of the biggest mistakes you can make when it comes to designing your lawn and Cary NC landscaping.
- Step back and take a good look at the overall curb appeal of your home. A common mistake we make is in putting most of our effort and money into the backyard of the home. This makes sense as this is the space we entertain in and enjoy the most. The front of the home gives the neighborhood and your visitors the first impression of your home. Take the time to design and maintain the front as well as you do the back.
- When looking to make a big impact in front of the home there are some things to consider. Paint the front door a bold or interesting color. We do not recommend going too crazy with color. Find one that compliments the color of your home. Add some splashes of color with flowers as well. Keep the lawn and landscape trimmed as well.
- Although we recommend flowers and plants, be careful with adding too many decorations. A nice garden flag is great. A huge mixture of plastic frogs is not. Choose things you love but just do not go overboard with the decorative items.
- To make the best use of your lawn clippings and debris, start a compost pile. This will give you free fertilizer in time to come.
- When it comes to planting flowers and shrubs research to see how much room, sun, and moisture they need. A common mistake is grouping things to close together. This can cause problems with the growth of your plants. They may grow too much and crowd one another. They will also be in competition for water and nutrients. This can cause unhealthy plants.
- If you have pets make sure to consider them in planning your landscape. Not all plants and flowers are pet friendly so make certain to ask questions and research. Plan your lawn and beds with pets in mind. When they are outside they may dig and roll around in the yard. If you do not want them in your flowers and shrubs you will want to take precautions to prevent this.
- In our efforts to prevent insects and any infestations we sometimes overuse pesticides. Always consult an expert about what to apply and how much you need. Our dwindling bee population is indicative of the use of too many pesticides over the years.
- Never cut your grass too short. To do so invites insects, disease, and an unhealthy lawn overall. If you are not sure how short the grass should be or what type grass you have, call our Cary NC landscaping company.
If you find yourself in need of a great Cary NC landscaping company give Lindsay Lawn and Landscaping a call. We can offer you a wide range of services for all your lawn care needs. Aeration, weed management, lawn mowing, fertilization, and landscaping are just a few of the many services we offer. Give us a call today!