We are headed into the official summer season and the temperatures are defiantly heating up. As July begins not only do we begin to suffer from the heat but so does our Cary NC lawn and landscape. If you are wondering what things you can do to help the lawn and landscape in the hot month of July, then this post is for you. We have some really great tips for keeping your lawn looking as good as possible all summer long!
For your trees and shrubs, the following maintenance should be done regularly.
- Water trees infrequently, but deeply.
- Stop fertilizing trees and shrubs during the heat of summer.
- Remove suckers to keep them from robbing the tree or shrub of much-needed water and nutrients.
- Prune spring-flowering shrubs early in the month. Once done leave them alone to set buds for next year. Summer and fall flowering shrubs should not be pruned, all non-blooming hedges can be trimmed as needed.
- Prune dead, damaged, or diseased branches to prevent them from falling during summer storms.
- Deadhead roses and other flowering shrubs so they will continue blooming.
- Avoid digging or cultivating around shallow-rooted plants or otherwise disturbing the roots.
- Apply extra mulch around the roots of trees and shrubs to hold in moisture.
When it comes to the Cary NC lawn here are some important things you can do to keep it looking great.
- Continue mowing as needed, at the highest setting for your lawn type. This is at least 3”- 4” for cool-season grasses and 2”- 3” for warm-season grasses.
- Make sure your lawn gets at least one inch of water per week.
- If water is scarce, or there is a drought, consider allowing cool-season fescue or bluegrass to go dormant for the summer.
- Mulch grass clippings to help shade, cool, and feed your lawn.
- Edge planting beds with a string trimmer or lawn edger for a sharp clean look.
- Plant warm-season grasses and keep watered.
- Stop fertilizing lawns in midsummer.
- Make sure you keep your lawn mower blades sharp for a clean cut.
For the rest of this month, you can continue with cleanup and maintenance of your landscape.
- Work outdoors in the cool of the morning and stay hydrated.
- Use rain barrels to collect and reuse rainwater for your lawn and garden during this hot part of the summer months.
- Stay on top of weeds and deadheading your flowers.
- Start a new compost pile or turn your existing one.
- Remove Japanese beetles and other pests when you see them.
- Refresh the water in fountains and birdbaths.
- Reduce fertilizing, and don’t put fertilizer on dry soil.
- Make sure your lawn and garden get an inch of water per week. Always water deeply.
- Add extra mulch to keep plant roots cool and moist.
Having a gorgeous Cary NC lawn with beautiful landscaping is a way to attract customers to your business. It is also a way to make your home as welcoming as it can be. Lindsay Lawn and Landscaping is committed to bringing all of that beauty to our clients. We offer all kinds of lawn services as well as landscaping to make your home or business as attractive as it can be. Call us today for more details. You will be so happy you did!